Thursday, January 28, 2010

Day 28: Doppelganger-Giada De Laurentiis

In ode of "Doppelganger Week" [The word "doppelgänger" has come to refer (as in German) to any double or look-alike of a person.], I would like to pay tribute to my proposed "twin," Giada De Laurentiis.

Me and Giada go way back. And by "way back" I mean since 2003 when her show The Everyday Italian aired on the Food Network. Then me and "G" (I call her "G") really got to know each other well when she published her first cookbook in 2005.

This is when people started asking me for my autograph.

It all started with cashiers at the grocery store mistakenly thinking that I was Giada...then people at airports...then friends...then my family. I think I may have caused a few family members near heart attacks when they turned on the Food Network and saw "G" making her crazy chocolate and brie paninis and thought it was me! I've been told that we not only look alike, but we have similar mannerisms too (which really freaks my mom out).

After about the 418th person to tell me I looked like Giada, I started to think that maybe they might be onto something. So, naturally, I had to be prepared. ;) And it was a good thing that I was... because I got to make an elderly couple's day.

I was hiking in Sedona, AZ, adoring an orange hiking hat, and stopped for a quick lunch with a friend. I noticed an older couple in the corner of the restaurant who kept peering over their booth in my direction and giggling. I was feeling significantly awkward until the waitress came up to me and said, "Ma'am, they think that you're Giada De Laurentiis from the Food Network." It took all of two seconds for me to realize that this was a moment too good to pass up. So, I leaned in, put my finger up to my mouth, and whispered to the waitress, "Shhhhhh...."

You should have seen her face. Priceless.

Then, as I was leaving, I walked up to the elderly couple's table, knelt down on the floor to be at their eye level, and asked if they had a pen. They starred at me for a second or two and then handed me a pen. I grabbed a napkin and wrote on it, "Enjoy your time in Sedona. Bon Appetit, Giada." [Good thing I had "prepared" ahead of time and memorized her signature!]


I know that this probably wasn't the smartest thing to do, but you should have seen this couple! I've never seen two people more excited in my whole life. Then the older man shook my hand and said, "We love your show." I smiled and replied with a quick "thank you," walking out the door before my friend had the chance to burst out laughing.

"Operation Shock and Awe" was complete.

Some other Giada-Look-Alike Perks:

1. I got to go to the front of the line at Disneyland (I wore sunglasses and had friends taking pictures with me----so the Disney staff took me right to the front of the Indiana Jones ride to get away from the "paparazzi").

2. A photographer in Arizona contacted me and asked if he could take pictures and enter me in the TV Guide show "Celebrity Look-Alike." Nothing ever came of it and to get on that show requires you to fly to Canada for filming, etc., but it was fun nonetheless.

3. People automatically assume that I can cook.

4. When I have children someday my birthing picture will OF COURSE look just like this (perfect makeup and all):


5. My Dad offered to fly me to LA with him this year to go to the filming of "Giada At Home." You can bet that there will be a blog post about that one. Stay tuned.

This is Doppelganger Week. Day 28 of 2010.

1 comments:

Lise Gawin said...

Love it! I was cracking up reading this the entire time - seriously! Hahaha!

Post a Comment